The Herald examines Brown’s multifaceted relationship with the city it calls home in its five-part Town/Brown series. Click here to visit the series page with articles, maps and multimedia at browndailyherald.com.
Today, the University sprawls over most of College Hill. But since it cleared 51 houses to build Wriston Quad, growth has brought controversy when Brown’s boundaries have blurred. Here’s a look at the transformation of the neighborhood around Brown’s campus. Read the full article.
1926: Hegeman Hall is built on the corner of Thayer and George, where a row of townhouses formerly stood.
Continue reading after the jump.
2009: Hegeman Hall today.
1947: West and East Andrews Halls are built on the north side of Pembroke College's campus.
When Andrews was built in the 1940s, Pembroke College was still separate from Brown, which did not admit women.
2009: Andrews Hall at present.
1949: The Howard House, on the southwest corner of Thayer and George, is demolished to make way from Wriston Quad.
1949: A construction crew clears the future site of Wriston Quad where 51 residential homes used to sit.
1955-57: Construction of Keeney Quad spurs controversy and inspires the creation of the Providence Preservation Society.
1972: Angell Hall is razed to make room for the Sciences Library.
2009: Sciences Park, next to the SciLi on Thayer Street.
Historic images courtesy of the University Archives. Present-day images Kim Perley / Herald.