No boyfriends, and no laptops
In a NY Times column aimed at college freshmen, advice is dispensed “from the people who actually grade their papers and lead their discussions.” TAs from across the country unite to tell you what you need to hear.
- Do brush up on your cultural literacy. “Don’t know what classical music is all about? That’s bad. Don’t know who Lady Gaga is? That’s worse.”
- Don’t bring your computer to class. “You’re a student, not a court reporter.”
- Do start fresh. Still dating your high school significant other? “Break up.”
- Don’t settle for more of the same. “Date someone of a different race or religion. (And no, hooking up at a party doesn’t count.)”
- Do calm the hell down. “Be comfortable with the fact that you don’t know anything.”