Prefrosh ’16, meet BlogDailyHerald
Today at 5 pm, a new class of high school hopefuls received some great news from our Admissions Office. First off, we at BlogDailyHerald congratulate you on your acceptance to Brown University’s Class of 2016. But now comes the hard part: actually realizing that Brown is a significantly better place than every other school that sent you an acceptance letter. For some, this may be difficult. Concerned that your inner hamster’s ironic mustache is merely peach fuzz? Start reading The Indy. Unsure of the awesome (and sometimes ridiculously named) course offerings for next year? There’s a Mocha for that. Wanna awkwardly chuckle at a bunch of silly memes you don’t get now, but will in less than 6 months? Theres an online troll community for that. Need to check out your class? Hail Mark Zuckerberg! There’s an Official Facebook Group for admitted students. Check out 5 simple reasons why Brown is great after the jump.
1. Happiest Students: If you didn’t stalk Princeton Review’s life, you may not know that the college guide considered Brunonians among the happiest students in the country. Now, before you write this off as some arbitrary ranking, as any critically-thinking student would, just remember that we beat out a certain 8 month summer camp in Claremont…
2. The New Curriculum: It’s not so new anymore, but it’s still awesome. With no requirements outside of one’s concentration and an S/NC (pass/fail) option for any class you take, the New Curriculum is the ultimate exercise in academic freedom for the intellectually curious mind. Freed from the shackles of distribution requirements and grade stress, you’re able to take risks, have fresh academic experiences and genuinely embrace a love of knowledge. Sincerity’s a specialty here at Brown.
3. Shopping Period: Imagine yourself in the middle of a shopping mall, surrounded by many different stores with many more items inside each. Now imagine two weeks during which you can try out any item in the store, see how you like it and then decide whether or not you want to take it. Replace items with courses and you’ve got Shopping Period. When roughly 10,000 tuition dollars go toward each class, this period of test driving is very important.
4. Pax-on-Pax-on-Pax: Brunonians are forever loyal to Brown’s 18th and first female African-American president in the Ivy League, Ruth Simmons. Earlier this year, President Simmons announced plans to step down. Although we’ll miss Ruth dearly, we couldn’t be more excited about the incoming 19th president of the University, Christina H. Paxson. A professor of economics and public affairs at Princeton University and dean of the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Paxson is an absolute baller. Chancellor Thomas Tisch ’76 remarked, “If she could make Brown any happier, I think we’d burst a thermometer.” Rest assured that you’ll be in good hands. You’ll also love her scarf.
5. Chicken Finger Friday (CFF): Not as serious as the prior reasons, but just as important. This meal, served weekly at the Verney-Wooley Dining Hall, is an absolute revelation. Crispy, juicy, salty and terrible for you, CFF marks the start of the weekend and is the perfect reward for five days of hard work. For vegans and health nuts, the vegan nuggets offer a suitable alternative, because in the end, everything’s just a vessel for dipping sauce.
For those of you who are on the fence about attending Brown, or just want to enjoy the college as much as possible before September, ADOCH is a great opportunity to visit campus, meet people and learn about… everything. Also, check out BlogDailyHerald for more prefrosh news (or just to get a feel for everyday Brown life). From the Blog staff, congrats again!
(Ed.- This is a slightly altered version of the post we put up on Decision Day 2011. Hey, it’s Spring Break…)