Last Call: Lorena Garcia

As the semester progresses at the speed of light, the senior class is beginning to make peace with that fateful day in May: Commencement. Until the class of 2012 up and leaves us, BlogDH wants to highlight all the interesting things the class has been up to. To this end, we are (re)starting a series, Last Call, featuring seniors reflecting on their experiences at Brown. Each featured senior will tag another senior for the next installment. Find this year’s other “Last Call” chain here.

Then + Now

People might know me as… the girl that works late nights at the Science Center? Sometimes people mistake me for the guy that’s always at the front desk at the Science Center? These gender things…

Amit’s Question: If you could relive one event from your Brown experience, what would it be? It would probably be going to Scotland with the rugby team. I had never really been outside the US except for Mexico and so it was a new experience for me altogether but it was also really nice to be experiencing it with them. They give meaning to the phrases word hard, play hard.

The craziest thing that ever happened while you were working at the Science Center? It was during a time last semester when people were going crazy with exams and I think some of them just needed to get a little artistic about how they let out their frustrations. But these huge guys in one room starting singing a Katy Perry song and then after a while some people in another room joined. Then some other people started singing a competing song and for a while it was just this loud chorus of voices and then it just stopped and people went on studying like nothing had even happened.

What has been the most rewarding part of being an MPC?  The most rewarding part of being an MPC was probably getting notes from the freshmen in my unit. It was a crazy year for a lot of people, involved a lot of work and I didn’t always get to see everyone in my unit but knowing I was making some difference made all the work worthwhile.

What’s the most annoying part of being an MPCC? The most annoying part of being an MPCC was probably having to be in the Ratty for General Body meeting at 6:30 a.m. All the meetings, organizing, scheduling and other stuff that is required when you run an organization were nothing compared to dragging myself out of bed. Sleeping is a type of religion to me.

On a Friday night, you might find yourself… Nowadays, probably at home with my housemates doing things like playing Halo, watching them do acrobatics, or pulling out all the instruments in the house to try and play something impromptu. Generally rugby games are on Saturday so Fridays are a time to enjoy, rest, and prep.

In my time at Brown I am most proud of… being selected to represent students of the TWC on the search committee for the new director. I had always been the student who was too scared to talk to a professor and suddenly I was advocating for student voice and having meetings with all these administrators and faculty. It was also a humbling experience to know that my peers felt I could adequately represent them. Their expectation that I could represent such a diverse body of people gave me the opportunity to find out what each of them felt was important or lacking in their current experience. It really taught me that each voice is valuable to the conversation even if (and perhaps especially) if we may end up differing on the topics in discussion.

The best class/professor at Brown is… Tricia Rose’s Hip Hop Music and Cultures class. I’m not gonna lie, when I first came to Brown I didn’t really think that Ethnic Studies was a legitimate concentration. I was a skeptic to be sure. Taking Tricia Rose’s class my sophomore year helped me realize that was what I wanted to do with my education. It also showed me that you just have to try new things because you just never know.

Three things you wish you knew freshman year… 1) It is okay to make mistakes. In fact, you learn the most that way. Being scared of mistakes and trying to avoid them is just cheating yourself. 2) Ask for help. Everyone thinks that their peers are naturally super human, super smart beings that don’t really stress and do it all. While that all may be true, it doesn’t mean that people don’t ask for help. In fact, the people that are succeeding are the ones who aren’t afraid to ask for help. 3) Your voice is important. It took me a long time to realize that what I had to say was important and it could make a difference. Once you realize that your opinion matters, there’s no limit to what can be achieved.

Ratty vs. V-Dub… Ratty. I always lived on that side of campus and even when I didn’t I found the Ratty just had more options. I’m a big fan of options.

Three things you wish you had done… joined a dance group, didn’t over commit myself as often as I did, and studied abroad. Hopefully all things that will be remedied in the future.

After graduation, you plan to… go abroad and study organ donation policies and programs in Spain and Ireland. It is my sincerest hope that I will get funding to do this so it can be my primary job rather than my second job.

Who are you tagging next? Chelsea Garber. Chelsea is a natural born leader and it never surprises me to see how easily people follow her even when she doesn’t have a clue where she is going. I think though that this just speaks to the faith that people put in her ability to lead. This comes out of her hard work ethic. It is rare to meet someone (perhaps less rare at Brown) who seems to excel at everything she does. Where does she get the time to do all these things and be as awesome as she is? No one knows, but it is never in doubt that it is because she has spent all that time putting her heart, soul, and mind into everything that she’s doing. While her tendency to demand and inspire the best from you sometimes makes her seem a little intimidating, all you need to do is sit down and have a drink with her or hear her sing to know that personality and charm are also one of her strong suits.

Next up: Chelsea Garber
Lorena’s question: If you got the chance to do one thing over from your Brown experience, what would it be?