It’s reading period. We’re supposed to be studying. So why I am watching episode after episode of Secret Life of the American Teenager? I don’t even like this show! I can literally feel my brain cells dying.
Procrastination: We all do it. It’s a blessing and a curse. So how do we combat it during finals? Here are some tips and tricks:
1. Deactivate your Facebook. I used to get a friend to change my password so I couldn’t use it. On the first day of summer, I relogged onto Facebook only to find my profile picture changed to this:
I peaked late.
2. Print written documents off your computer. Finals are more important than trees. Don’t use your computer unless you have to. The Internet is too tempting.
3. Freedom. If you must use your computer, consider downloading Freedom, an app that blocks the Internet for a certain period of time set by you. For those of us with Internet ADHD who need to write essays or BlogDailyHerald posts, I highly recommend it.
4. Take plenty of breaks. Many of my friends retreat into what I call the “SciLife” during finals. They go to the quiet floor and stay there… for twelve hours. It’s not productive. Or healthy. Or normal. Take a walk. Go to Starbucks. Be human, damnit! It’s okay to get distracted.
5. Just do it. Nike says it best. Exercise some self-control and whip out your inner tightwad. There’s no real way to beat procrastination except getting down to business and doing it. And take your Ritalin. But only if you have a prescription.