I conceptualize StudyJamz as fitting into two major categories:
- ChillStudyJamz – I am reading Freud’s theory of the 4th dimensional city. I am a flowering intellectual. Background noise would be nice as I contemplate the relationship between time and space.
- PumpUpStudyJamz – I HAVEN’T SLEPT IN THREE DAYS IS THIS COFFEE I’M DRINKING IT WAIT IS THAT A HAWK EATING A SQUIRREL I NEED THE INTENSITY OF A TORNADO EARTHQUAKE IN MY HEADPHONES
Here are some choice picks from both categories. And I’m not going to lie to you: This blog post may be my curated musical masterpiece.
1. Sebastian Tellier – La Ritournelle
If you can watch this whole video/listen to this whole song and not get emotional you have sold your soul to the devil.
2. Dirty Gold – California Sunrise
I haven’t been to California since I was 11 but I want to think this just plays in the background always.
3. Pictureplane – Goth-Star
When I went to Swarthmore (GASP) Pictureplane came to the comparable Spring Weekend band event and I was frEEEEEkin
5. The Books – Classy Penguin
Oh god, The Books. Such an incredible band. When they broke up I cried true tears.
6. Air France – It Feels Good to Be Around You
I’m pretty sure this song enters into another dimension at moments.
7. Air – Alone in Kyoto
The band name fits the music ~~~ lulling…
8. Arcade Fire – Rebellion (Lies)
10. Claude Debussy – La fille aux cheveux de lin
My favorite classical composer ^_^ Or, one of the only classical composers I know well/listen to at all.
Considering this was commissioned for a Converse ad, DAMN. Amazing.
3. The Hood Internet – See Youth (Usher v. Santigold)
It’s that beat that isn’t on the beat that gets me. Clearly I don’t have the vocabulary for this. But do you hear it?
4. Japandroids – The House That Heaven Built
5. Wiz Khalifa – Black & Yellow (Go Periscope Remix)
It was already a great pump up but I think the remix highlights the ridiculousness to new heights.
8. Janelle Monae – Violet Stars Happy Hunting!!!
THE QUEEN. If you haven’t listened to her entire discography, go now! Fun MCM fact: This album is inspired by Fritz Lang’s 1927 film “Metropolis.”
9. Jason Derulo – Ridin’ Solo
The official song of my Barbour suite last year. (Hey Barbourshop 40!)
10. Madeon – Pop Culture
All the songzzzzzz! (at the same time)
<3 Good luck studying!
Image by Elizabeth Goodspeed ’16