Jameson students affected by fire won’t be back in their rooms for a few days

532901_10201048780570346_1425259423_n

As many of you probably know, there was a fire in a Jameson 3rd floor room Monday night at around 7:00 p.m. Rumor is that it started when a lit candle caught a curtain, but we’re not here to speculate about that. Though no one was hurt, the fire, of course, has affected many more students than just the resident(s) of that room. A couple of hours after firefighters had put out the blaze, Res Life sent out an email telling students from the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floors of Jameson to “relocate for the evening.” According to the same email, students had an opportunity to grab their things and prepare for one of numerous slumber parties throughout the rest of Keeney that night.

Until earlier today, however, students were still unsure when they would be back in their rooms. According to a second email sent out this evening, people on the 1st and 2nd floors would be allowed back into their room on Friday, April 26 once necessary repairs were complete. They had until 9 p.m. tonight to pick up whatever they needed. Those who live on the 3rd floor would be back in their rooms by Monday, April 29. Res Life has offered students “temporary housing” – if they aren’t down for a longterm sleepover at a friend’s, in which case they can still pick up an extra mattress – and has gone the extra mile to send students a list of instructions for making property damage claims for damaged belongings (check after the jump).

Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 9.50.15 PM

It looks like a pain in the ass, but it’s better than nothing. In the meantime, we’re just glad no one was hurt. The University has, of course, also made sure students have access to Academic Deans and the Office of Student Life to make sure their finals studying is not disrupted. Similarly, the professors of the students affected by the fire have been notified and were given dean’s excuses. Props to all involved for a pretty quick and detailed response (We <3 Bova).

Above photo courtesy of a member of the class of  ’16.

Leave a Reply