Earlier this week, Miley Cyrus released her new album Bangerz, likely filled with controversy and a million other “-isms” that frustrated students and middle-aged mothers alike were ready deconstruct. Although the lyrics of Miley’s recent hit “We Can’t Stop” seem to reflect emotions tied to “kiss[ing] who we want,” “shaking it like we at a strip club,” and “trying to get a line in the bathroom,” we all know what she’s really discussing: the temptation of playing another round of BlogDH’s favorite game, BergeMash. Sure, you probably thought this tradition was leaving with the beloved KBerge, but you thought wrong. Miley’s Bangerz is begging to be BergeMashed, and we simply couldn’t resist.
First, here’s a quick what-you-should-know about the album—Miley describes its genre as “dirty south hip-hop.” She collaborated with popular musicians such as Britney Spears (they like to bond over how powerful they feel as women who’ve sported buzz cuts), Big Sean, will.i.am, Nelly, and French Montana. Rolling Stone called Bangerz a “Rihanna-meets-Gaga-meets-Pink-meets-Britney party grenade of a record.” So basically it’s great.
Before we begin this new round of BergeMash, let us refresh your memory:
What’s BergeMash? Named after Brown’s beloved Dean of the College, BergeMash perfectly combines Dean Bergeron’s musical and academic interests in a hilariously fun and mentally stimulating game.
How do I play? The task is simple. Open up your iTunes. Pick a song. Take the title, add a colon to the end, and turn it into a Brown class offered by a specific department.
And, now, here is Bangerz and BergeMash…
- HIST1960 – Adore You: How Egypt and Israel Went From Enemies to Friends
- COLT0200 – We Can’t Stop: Sex Addiction in Literature
- MCM1700 – SMS (Bangerz): Sexting and Other Youth Media Movements
- MATH0220 – 4×4: The Unique Qualities of the Motzkin Number
- NEUR1870 – My Darlin: Effects of Pet Names on the Female Brain
- URBN1020 – Wrecking Ball: Urbanization’s Effect on the Homeless in the Early 20th century
- ENGL0030 – Love Money Party: The Great Gatsby For Dummies
- EDUC0400 – #GETITRIGHT: Incorporating Social Media into Effective Education
- POLS0910 – Drive: The Power Complex of the Modern American Politician
- LING1050 – FU: Abbreviations and Undermining Modern Meaning
- PHIL1840 – Do My Thang: Studies of the Unindividualized Self
- RELS1200 – Maybe You’re Right: Proselytization, Missionaries, and Conversion
- HIST1200 – Someone Else: The dhimmi as the Proximate Other in Islamic States
Have any fav Miley songs that you want to BergeMash? Maybe even throw it back to some Hannah Montana classics? Share them in the comments.