What to do this week: November 10 – 14

what-to-do-this-week1

Tuesday, November 11:

Event: Startups: The pros and cons of chasing your dreams
Time: 6:30 – 7:30p.m.
Location: CIT 368

The Brown CS DUG and iXperience CEO Aaron Fuchs are co-hosting a discussion and interactive workshop on launching a successful startup. Looking to learn about some helpful tools you can use to enter the startup world? RSVP to the event here.

Event: Right2Education: Student Voices from Occupied Palestine
Time: 7:30-9p.m.
Location: List 110

Two students from Birzeit University in Palestine will come speak as a part of the first-ever US Right to Education Tour – a tour in which Palestinian students will spend two weeks touring college campuses across the US to speak about their experiences as students and youth activists. A Q&A will follow the presentation.

Wednesday, November 12:

Event: Celebrate the 250th day of Brown’s 250th: Cans 4 Cupcakes
Time: 11:30a.m.-2p.m.
Location: Main Green

“Cans 4 Cupcakes” is a food drive sponsored by Brown’s 250th Anniversary to benefit the RI Community Food Bank – bring a can of food or non-perishable food item, and receive a cupcake in return! The event will also feature hot cocoa and a photo booth.

Event: Beyond Bias: A Different Approach to the Arab-Israeli Conflict
Time: 7p.m.
Location: MacMillan 117

A panel is being held in response to concern about the degree to which the discussions on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict are biased polarized. It will feature an Israeli scholar, a Palestinian scholar, and a third scholar who teaches a course on the Arab-Israeli conflict at Brandeis University. 

Thursday, November 13: 

EventIsrael’s Strategic Challenges in a Changing International Context with Yehuda Yaakov
Time: 4p.m.
Location: Joukowsky Forum, Watson Institute

Consul General of Israel to New England Yehuda Yaakov will come speak to the Brown community this Thursday. According to the event page, “for more than a decade, Yaakov has played an important role in formulating and implementing Israel’s diplomatic approach to managing strategic challenges.” Tickets required, reserve them here.

Event: DUG Week: Life Sciences Night
Time: 6-7p.m.
Location: Sciences Center, SciLi

As a part of DUG week, come take a break from your studies to enjoy coffee and desserts with other Life Sciences concentrators. All students welcome.

Friday, November 14:

EventRock at the Rock
Time: 7:30-10p.m.
Location: The Rock Library

This Friday, the Rock is partnering with band Diamond Doves to celebrate the library’s 50th anniversary. The first floor will be packed with food and festivities, and all Brown community members are welcome. Get your free tickets here.

Event: Rock The CASA!
Time: 7-9p.m.
Location: Salomon DECI Auditorium

The sisters of Kappa Alpha Theta have organized their second-annual benefit show, from which all proceeds will go to Court Appointed Special Advocates, a nonprofit dedicated to helping abused and neglected children find safe and permanent homes. 16 student groups will be performing, including the Jabberwocks, Brown Taekwondo Club, Fusion dance company, and many more. Tickets will be sold for $5 in JWW November 10-14th, from 11am-3pm, as well as at the door the night of the event.