It’s official: Brown absolutely loves birthdays. This weekend, the Rock celebrated the big 5-0, and instead of a typical 50th birthday party with fancy wine and adults making small talk, the library threw perhaps the punniest party in the Brown’s history. Here are ten things you missed if you didn’t rock out at Rock at the Rock:
10. Food from the Ratty, after 7:30 p.m.: Rock at the Rock was a catered event, complete with soda, hot chocolate, and the full hummus bar straight out of the Ratty’s Roots and Shoots section.
9. A chance to say thanks to the librarians: Almost the entire library staff was at the festivity. Since they are the secret superheroes of Brown — and are in the midst of important contract negotiations with the University — they deserve some serious appreciation. You could always chat them a nice note.
8. Cupcakes that looked like rocks: Rocks aren’t necessarily the most appetizing-looking minerals, but cupcakes are always a plus.
7. The photo booth: There have been dozens of opportunities to pose with your friends in a photo booth at Brown this semester, and Rock at the Rock was no exception.
6. The Diamond Doves: What? You haven’t been dreaming of shredding a guitar solo so hard that you popped a string in the first floor of the library of your alma mater? Start now.
5. Several other famous rocks: Both Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and the Plymouth Rock were in attendance.*
4. Brown’s use of the phrase, “Turn up”: Self explanatory.
3. Seeing professors with their kids: “Oh, I love seeing teachers outside of school. It’s like seeing a dog walk on its hind legs.”
2. A free George R. R. Martin Book: No, not a new A Song of Ice and Fire novel. There were, however, many copies of his 2008 work Inside Straight. No word on whether the book is a Tyrion Lannister and Bronn’s buddy cop tale.
1. Rock Candy: Dentists were not thrilled. Students were, until they realized they were sucking on pure sugar, which is kind of gross no matter how punny a candy it is.
*They were not, in fact, in attendance.