As the semester progresses at the speed of light, the senior class is beginning to make peace with that fateful day in May: Commencement. Until the class of 2015 leaves us, BlogDH wants to highlight all the interesting things they’ve been up to. To this end, we’re (re)starting the series Last Call, which features seniors reflecting on their experiences at Brown. Each featured senior will tag another senior for the next installment. Find this year’s other “Last Call” chain here and our RISD “Last Call” chain here.
1) People know me as… Amy LaCount’s boyfriend and a Libra.
2) In my time at Brown, I am most proud of… my friends and peers. Seriously, I’ve spent an absurd number of hours around these homies, and yet they continue to inspire, and surprise me. They taught me critical consciousness, humility, and empathy, and they are worth every stressful minute of college 100 times over.
3) On Friday night, I might find myself… swearing that I’m totally, definitely, absolutely going to go out tonight, texting a buncha friends, getting dressed up — and then staying in.
4) Three things I wish I knew Freshman year… You will learn way more from listening than you will from speaking. If you really want it to happen, Brown will pay for it: bring that speaker you wanted, apply for that unpaid internship — you get $0 from 100% of the grants you never apply for. You deserve to be here just as much as everyone else, there’s no need to compare yourself to them.
5) Ratty or V-Dub… I lived within 200 yards of the Ratty for 2.5 years; it’s all I’ve ever known.
6) The best thing I did in my time at Brown was… decide to take time off.
7) One thing you wish you had done at Brown is… Been more in touch with my “creative” side: taken an art class, gone to a dance workshop, etc.
8) After graduation, you plan to… If by graduation you mean May, then come back for my last semester at Brown, and graduate for real!
9) What’s the hardest class you’ve taken at Brown? If you could do it over, would you still take it? Taking Intro to Africana Studies as a first semester freshman with Corey Walker. I met theory for the first time ever, and it melted my brain on the daily. But I would take it over again every single time.
10) What’s the most rewarding extracurricular you’ve been a part of? Why? Bluestockings — I cannot imagine a group [in] which I could have learned more from my peers, made more meaningful relationships, or had nearly so much fun. Watching that project grow over the last three years has been an absolute honor, and I think Brown is a more engaged and radical school because of it.
11) One piece of advice for underclassmen… Make your class decisions based on your impression/the reputation of the teacher, not based on how fun the title is.
Dillon’s Question: Baja’s or Chipotle? Chipotle’s food, but Baja’s as an institution.
Up next: Nicole Salvador
Todd’s question for Nicole: How would you summarize your Brown experience in one Drake quote?