Dear [son],I am sending you this so that I can try to start to move on.It has been a whole week, and I have not been able get a single other thing done, except think about the Jabberwocks.One must admit when they have a problem.Love,Mom
CONFESSIONS OF A JABBERMOM:
- Cannot stop listening to Jabbertalk. Have had Higher Ground on iTunes for a year.
- A previously confirmed non-subscriber to social media, signed up for Facebook, just to follow the Jabberwocks.
- Signed up for a souped up YouTube app to have faster downloading of every Jabberwock YouTube there is. Have searched Jabberwocks, Jabberwocks Brown, and Jabberwocks Brown University…are there any more?
- Read every posting on jabberwocks.com since 2008.
- Made an Excel spreadsheet of all the 2013 Jabberwocks, including ranges, soloists, and arrangers.
- Downloaded the liner notes from Jabbertalk to make said spreadsheet.
- Looked up the exact ranges of baritone and bass on Wikipedia. Figuring out the bass part on the piano.
- Try to sing along with almost every song in alto.
- Had no idea the Jabberwocks were rated so highly and toured Europe.
- Dreams of someday hosting the Jabberwocks at her house on a West Coast tour. Worried that she might not have room for all of them. Trying to decide who else to invite to an intimate concert in her living room. Planning the menu.
- Downloaded the Jabberwock logo and considered making enclosure cards.
- Considered making stationery, or maybe a needlepoint pillow of the Jabberwock for the practice room.
- Named one of her tiny sheep Bandersnatch.
- Started to memorize Jabberwocky. Has a copy in her planner.
- Considered giving handmade jam to every member of the group. Or maybe regional honey from the farmer’s market would be better for their voices?
- Considered giving them all a copy of Musicophilia, by Oliver Sachs.
- Sent flowers to her Wockling’s grammar school music teacher.
- Considered sending a thank you note to the Chattertocks who helped her Wockling with his audition.
- Considered calling the Brown Athletic Department to ask if the Brown/Harvard football game footage includes the halftime show. And if so, can they email it?
- Studied a labeled photograph of this year’s Jabberwocks so she will be able to recognize them at Family Weekend.
- Considered starting a Facebook webpage for parents of Jabberwocks in order to anonymously dish and swoon, so as not to embarrass their sons. Can’t decide on a name: Jabberparents, Jabbermoms, Yammermoms, Jabberwonks. Don’t’ worry, won’t really do this.
- Probably should start a chapter of JA.
- Over the moon with happiness for her new Wockling.
Image via costume contest submission.