Ruh-roh! It appears that trutv.com is out to get us! They declared the Brown class “Canine Behavior” as one of the top ten dumbest college classes in the US. They didn’t do their homework apparently, seeing as Canine Behavior is a psych course in CLPS department, and not a biology course as they claim. What this class covers, according to truTV, is “why your dog is barking.” Really truTV? Out of all of the absurd Brown classes, you choose Canine Behavior to poke fun at? What about English 200: On Vampires and Violent Vixens: Making the Monster Through Discourses of Gender and Sexuality?
Biology Professor Marjorie Thompson shared our anger, saying that Canine Behavior “is not anything silly or a joke!” Good try, truTV, but you’re going to need to do better than that.
Let’s just do away with the witty formalities and face the facts:
- It is April 20th.
- You are probably going to smoke today.
- Doing this will stimulate your appetite.
If you find yourself in need of “munchies” at any point today, look no further. Here is a list of 5 places on College Hill that will serve your munching needs:
- The Main Green and Wriston Quad. Not only are several club groups holding bake sales on the Main Green (including Students for Sensible Drug Policy), but there will also be a Gourmet Market on upper Wriston. Yum.
- The Ratty / V-Dub. For lunch today there are buffalo chicken wings at the Ratty and chicken fajitas at the V-Dub. Just saying. Also, the Ivy Room is always a solid alternative if you’re looking for something a little different.
- Wings & Things. Feeling a bit lazy and in the mood for some real wings? Well you’re in luck: Wings & Things delivers! Just call (401) 369-7551.
- Pizza on Thayer. You know the deal. We’ve got Nice Slice, Antonio’s, and even Toledo serves pizza! If you don’t want to let the smoke out of leave your room, you can always order in!
- Mexican on Thayer. Chipotle. Baja’s. Bagel Gourmet Olé. Gordito Burrito. Just take your pick. Each has its own flavor (except Gordito Burrito, which is simply terrible).
And if paying for food isn’t your thing, there’s never been a better time to eat free or dine trying.
Pre-Dental Society Meeting
7 pm in Faunce Memorial Room
Light refreshments and snacks (that probably won’t rot your teeth) and carve your own tooth out of soap! This sounds kind of awesome.
Brownies for Hepatitis B Awareness
1 pm onward in JWW
If you enter the lobby of J. Walter Wilson wearing green apparel, Team HBV will hand you a free brownie. Green? Brownies? Did they decide upon those two things for a reason?
And of course, there are plenty more places around Brown to eat. Just go out and explore!
Starting this afternoon, swarms of accepted high school seniors will be buzzing all over Brown’s campus. If you run into one, first apologize, then tell them all about your great experiences here at Brown. Just note: here are some things not to say:
- Don’t worry, winter is only from October to April.
- Do you want to come back to my room with me?
- Rain? Well, you just kind of get used to it.
- Have you seen the Keeney tunnels yet?
- It’s not the size of your endowment that counts; it’s how you use it.
- Can I show you my rapid prototyper?
- I mean Emma Watson went here…
- So are you 18 yet?
- (ADOCH host) Watching porn is soooo much more fun with company.
- (ADOCH host) Dibs on the left side of my bed!
Diddy wears many hats—that of a rapper, a singer, a record producer, an actor, and a men’s fashion designer, to name just a few. It seems, however, that he must add a new one to his collection: the crown of a Twitter King. He tweets at least a dozen times a day, with tweets that range from serious to silly to absolutely absurd. He was even honored as the number six top Tweeter in Rolling Stone Magazine’s “50 Top Tweeters in Music.” Check out some highlights from his Twitter past, after the jump!
Tonight, starting at 6:00 PM and ending at 6:00 AM, over 800 volunteers will be in the OMAC, fighting for the cure. Relay For Life first began in 1985 when Dr. Gordy Klatt, a colorectal surgeon in Tacoma, Washington, walked and ran around a track for 24 hours to raise money for the American Cancer Society. Since then, one man’s determination to battle cancer has become the world’s largest crusade against the disease, with over 3.5 million American participants each year, as well as thousands of others from communities in 20 different countries across the globe. (It’s the largest fundraising event ever.) Continue Reading
If you still have that gripping urge to ask Ashley, battle Reptar, or drink orange soda (I do, I do, I do, I do-oo), then we have some good news and some bad news for you.
The Good News:
After previous speculation that Nickelodeon would bring back the classics, we now have confirmation that this rumor is true. Our favorite childhood shows will soon premiere on TeenNick after midnight in their original glory. Though the exact shows haven’t been confirmed yet, some of the top contenders include The Rugrats, All That, Kenan and Kel, The Amanda Show, and Pete & Pete, among others.
The Bad News:
Brown IPTV does not have Nickelodeon! Of the eight “Entertainment” channels, we have BET, Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, TBS, TNT, USA, FX, and CW—but no Nick! Cartoon Network gets the green light, but lonely old Nick doesn’t? Blasphemy. Every child of the ’90s knows that Cartoon Network is inferior to Nickelodeon. If (classic) Nickelodeon were Kim Kardashian, Cartoon Network would be Khloé. If Nick were Vince, CT would be Drama. Nick = Batman, CT = Robin. Point landed.
All we can do in this cartoon quandary is stay hopeful. Perhaps one day we will have the opportunity to re-watch those timeless episodes on our own IPTV. Until that time, however, we must learn to manage.