A Cool Thing You Shouldn’t Miss: “The Prince of Egypt” screening

Prince_of_egypt_ver2

There are plenty of us who could use a refresher course on the story of Passover. How many plagues were there again? Was one of them a Polar Vortex? Fear not, because tonight, Hillel’s Engagement Internship is hosting a viewing of “The Prince of Egypt,” everyone’s favorite should-be-Disney movie (it’s actually Dreamworks Animation… yes, your entire childhood was a lie.) “The Prince of Egypt” chronicles the life of Moses and the events that Passover commemorates, so if you missed the four questions at your family’s seder this week (or don’t know what that even means), go check out this event on the Main Green at 8:00 pm. The movie is top-notch, and features an Academy Award-winning soundtrack with original songs that will make you kvell. Bring a blanket, because the viewing includes a picnic with free chocolate-covered matzo — need I say more?


Jabberwocks Springtivational is TONIGHT!

JabberwocksLogo

Aca-believe it or not, the 65th annual Jabberwocks’ Springvitational is tonight! What better way to celebrate the end of this apocalyptic winter than by listening to the finest crooning in the college aca-world (ok, I’ll stop…). This year’s Springvitational is poised to be one of the best ones yet, featuring everyone’s favorite ‘Wocks, the Darmouth Aires, and Pitch Slapped from Berklee College of Music. Just to get an idea of what to expect, the Aires were runners-up on Season 3 of NBC’s acapella competition show, the Sing-Off. Pitch Slapped boasts equally impressive credentials, holding the title of 2011 ICCA champions. Whether or not you are aca-inclined (last one, I promise), tonight’s show features incredibly talented singers from Brown and beyond, so definitely check it out.

Head to Salomon 101 for the show at 8pm. Tickets are $4 and totally worth it. If you’re not convinced, check out the videos below to hear the three groups bring the heat.

Jabberwocks @ Brown 250th Anniversary – “Sweet Disposition”

Dartmouth Aires Queen Medley – Sing-Off Season 3

Pitch Slapped – “Good Life” Music Video

Image via.


We’re live-blogging the “Changing Stereotypes in Television” Panel

Joselow_LectureBoard_AasifMandvi_COAmberBaldet-via-Flickr-copy-650x472

Image via.


Which social media site should you drop?

It seems like there is a new social media craze every month, and with so many options, it has gotten impossible to keep up. Unless you have a team of publicists, there is no way you can maintain an active presence on all the various social media platforms and still write that daunting midterm paper. And no, linking your Instagram to your Facebook and Twitter will never be enough.

Friends, it’s time for some spring late winter cleaning. But which site isn’t right for you? The following somewhat Mean Girls-themed forecast — complete with percentages! — will help:

twitter_logo1-Copy

Twitter: Unless you are a Real Housewife, Lady Gaga circa 2010, or 257 Thayer,  you don’t need to be on Twitter.

80% chance of dropping, 20% chance your favorite comedian just has suuuuuch clever thoughts throughout the day that you can’t bare the idea of not reading them while you’re on the toilet.

 

 

Instagram-logo

Instagram: “I’m sorry that people are so jealous of me, but I can’t help it that I’m popular.” – Instagram

Insta may be the easiest social media app to make fun of, but it doesn’t matter. It’s fun, it’s a low time commitment, it’s colorful, and it makes you feel artistic. It’s one of the few social media outlets that allow you to express your creativity. Yes, in reality, Insta provides less in the way of art and more in the way of “someone you went to high school with is about to eat a fancy sandwich at a popular lunch spot in San Francisco.” But it’s the thought that counts, and with Facebook already on the decline, what else are you supposed to do with all your photos? Printing them out and framing them so that your memories will be preserved for years to come isn’t going to give your friends FOMO.

15% chance of dropping, 85% chance that you can’t because “think of the spring weekend pics!”

tech-snapchat-logo

 

Snapchat: This isn’t a question. Snapchat is a college essential.

100% chance of not dropping, 100% chance that if you don’t already have one you need to get one.

 

Continue Reading


Ways to get hyped for Sochi 2014, even if you hate sports

"So mysterious to meeeeee"

“So mysterious to meeeeee”

It feels like just yesterday that Ryan Lochte and his grill swam their way into our hearts, but, it’s time once again to rally around a new pantheon of athletic demigods. Sochi 2014 has been a long time coming, and, unless you have been living adrift on an ice flow, you have been hearing about the trials and tribulations leading up to this round of winter games.

There are a lot of us who don’t necessarily relate to the Olympics. The peak of our athletic careers consisted of four days in middle school when we were really excited about Wii Fit. We watch the Parade of Nations…for the fashion. The only thing we really remember about London 2012 is Tom Daley’s abs. Trust me; I get it. However, the Olympics are about more than just sports – they are about all sorts of things that Brown students love, like multiculturalism, community, and being really cold all the time. If you are someone who doesn’t like sports, here are a few ways that you can stay up-to-date and get into the Sochi spirit. Continue Reading