Which social media site should you drop?

It seems like there is a new social media craze every month, and with so many options, it has gotten impossible to keep up. Unless you have a team of publicists, there is no way you can maintain an active presence on all the various social media platforms and still write that daunting midterm paper. And no, linking your Instagram to your Facebook and Twitter will never be enough.

Friends, it’s time for some spring late winter cleaning. But which site isn’t right for you? The following somewhat Mean Girls-themed forecast — complete with percentages! — will help:

twitter_logo1-Copy

Twitter: Unless you are a Real Housewife, Lady Gaga circa 2010, or 257 Thayer,  you don’t need to be on Twitter.

80% chance of dropping, 20% chance your favorite comedian just has suuuuuch clever thoughts throughout the day that you can’t bare the idea of not reading them while you’re on the toilet.

 

 

Instagram-logo

Instagram: “I’m sorry that people are so jealous of me, but I can’t help it that I’m popular.” – Instagram

Insta may be the easiest social media app to make fun of, but it doesn’t matter. It’s fun, it’s a low time commitment, it’s colorful, and it makes you feel artistic. It’s one of the few social media outlets that allow you to express your creativity. Yes, in reality, Insta provides less in the way of art and more in the way of “someone you went to high school with is about to eat a fancy sandwich at a popular lunch spot in San Francisco.” But it’s the thought that counts, and with Facebook already on the decline, what else are you supposed to do with all your photos? Printing them out and framing them so that your memories will be preserved for years to come isn’t going to give your friends FOMO.

15% chance of dropping, 85% chance that you can’t because “think of the spring weekend pics!”

tech-snapchat-logo

 

Snapchat: This isn’t a question. Snapchat is a college essential.

100% chance of not dropping, 100% chance that if you don’t already have one you need to get one.

 

Continue Reading


Paper: A review of Facebook’s new app for iOS

The Paper Homescreen

Facebook wants to replace your morning newspaper. Paper, the latest app from the web behemoth, is an ambitious attempt to not only redefine your Facebook experience, but also provide you with information that you normally rely on newspapers for. I decided to test the app myself to see whether it was as good as FB claims, and whether or not you should consider downloading it.

While waiting for the app to download I noticed the by-line: Paper|Stories from Facebook. The app’s focus on stories would soon become apparent. After downloading the app, I was greeted by  a simple start up screen and a voice tutorial guided me through the basics of setting my preferences and navigating the app. So far so good.

Continue Reading


The different types of college Facebook album titles

collegefacebookphotos

The hardest part of muploading is, without a doubt, choosing a proper title for your Facebook photo album. Naming it seems as important to our generation as naming your first child. You know your title is something everyone will inevitably stumble across during their daily Facebook trolling. While you will never be judged upon your album name nearly as harshly as you will be by the blurry reminders of last weekend’s events that it contains, you can’t deny that an ample amount of thought goes into its christening.

You can take your title in a multitude of directions. Some name albums like a Nicholas Sparks book of nostalgic college memories, which usually just makes other people uncomfortable. How deep can a collection of iPhone photos, all showing the same ten people sitting on the floor of a dorm room and holding red cups be? Others give a total of zero fucks and go wild with the nomenclature–preaching school spirit, spitting puns, and tryna turn up as much as one possibly can on Facebook. Ultimately, the many traps of album naming the average college student falls into can be categorized neatly.

Together, the writers of BlogDH collected the best examples we found from our Facebook friends around the country —actually, around the world — to break down this millennial art for you. Read our epic catalogue after the jump:

Continue Reading


Web Civ: Facebook updates chat, avid Facebook chatters rejoice

THE WORLD MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE NOWFacebook has officially changed the Facebook chat game: Zuckerberg & Co. unveiled a new chat feature this morning. Now you can see whether your friends are using Facebook on their mobile devices or their computers.

Why is this such an exciting change? There are often disconnects between those who are chatting on different devices. Those on phones may give shorter responses (since the app takes a while to load/open on phones) since they’re likely…well, mobile. They also may be purposely trying to resist the temptation to go on Facebook on their computers. Those who are chatting on their computers are able to type a lot in a shorter period of time, and thus may seem to be bombarding people who are logged into Facebook on their phones—perhaps accidentally—who may not have time to read and respond to messages with the same amount of thought and detail. Continue Reading


BlogDailyHerald presents: BlogStalk

(BlogDH) Facebook Stalking

We found this tumblr called BackStalk and we thought it was hilarious. In fact, we liked it so much that we decided to roll out the concept at Brown and create an outlet to juxtapose Brown students’ awkward “then” photos against their more acceptable “now” photos. Introducing BlogStalk, a weekly Thursday (#tbt!) column that showcases what one would find when he/she…well, backstalks. Because Thursday wouldn’t be Thursday without embarrassing pictures from our adolescence.

In our inaugural BlogStalk post, we decided to backstalk members of the BlogDH squad so we could embarrass our writers in a public forum. More importantly, in the coming weeks, we’re hoping that you will submit your own before and after photos so that you can be featured on the site. Basically, we’ve gone out of our way to embarrass ourselves to inspire you to do the same. Makes sense, right?

To be featured in a weekly BlogStalk post, submit your own BlogStalk photo to blog@browndailyherald.com with the subject “BlogStalk.” Include your first name, first initial of your last name, and your class year. The more awkward the photo, the better the BlogStalk post. Do it big.

Check out how horrifyingly awkward we all were… after the jump.

Continue Reading


Our thoughts on Lulu

Screen shot 2013-04-25 at 12.11.02 AM

For those of you who haven’t heard about Lulu, it’s an app that lets girls rate guys. It’s advertised as “the first database of men, built by women, for women.” The app is only accessible to girls with Facebook accounts and claims to be “as private as you want it to be.”  The app also has a counterpart for males, allowing them to see the general feedback they have received, in addition to receiving”tips and insights about the mysterious world of women.”

Let’s run down our opinions on it, shall we?

Charlotte:

According to Cosmopolitan, Lulu is is the lovechild of Sex and the City and Facebook. I am not so sure. Why? Because Sex and the City rocks and this app kind of sucks. Upon initially hearing about Lulu, on a scale of one-to-puke, I wanted run to the toilet and clutch my stomach for dear life. After cruising for a solid three hours twenty minutes, I realized, however, that this app has major trolling potential. I am going to share exactly how this app grinds my gears, but also why it’s mildly hilarious.

Prepare yourselves because I’m about to go all Upton Sinclair in the The Jungle‘s meatpacking district.

99 Problems and they’re all about Lulu– There are definitely some serious problems with Lulu. For example, the app is painfully hetereonormative (…can I graduate now?). Ignoring Lulu’s other problems, simply look at the fact that it only allows girls to access the app to only rate guys. A massive red flag should be going up right about now. We live in world where plenty of people don’t adhere the Lulu norm, but ladies, its all okay in the end because “Lulu gives [you] the power to be Taylor Swift,” according to its blog: “Enough said.”

Hold up… I’m sorry, what?

Continue Reading