Which social media site should you drop?

It seems like there is a new social media craze every month, and with so many options, it has gotten impossible to keep up. Unless you have a team of publicists, there is no way you can maintain an active presence on all the various social media platforms and still write that daunting midterm paper. And no, linking your Instagram to your Facebook and Twitter will never be enough.

Friends, it’s time for some spring late winter cleaning. But which site isn’t right for you? The following somewhat Mean Girls-themed forecast — complete with percentages! — will help:

twitter_logo1-Copy

Twitter: Unless you are a Real Housewife, Lady Gaga circa 2010, or 257 Thayer,  you don’t need to be on Twitter.

80% chance of dropping, 20% chance your favorite comedian just has suuuuuch clever thoughts throughout the day that you can’t bare the idea of not reading them while you’re on the toilet.

 

 

Instagram-logo

Instagram: “I’m sorry that people are so jealous of me, but I can’t help it that I’m popular.” – Instagram

Insta may be the easiest social media app to make fun of, but it doesn’t matter. It’s fun, it’s a low time commitment, it’s colorful, and it makes you feel artistic. It’s one of the few social media outlets that allow you to express your creativity. Yes, in reality, Insta provides less in the way of art and more in the way of “someone you went to high school with is about to eat a fancy sandwich at a popular lunch spot in San Francisco.” But it’s the thought that counts, and with Facebook already on the decline, what else are you supposed to do with all your photos? Printing them out and framing them so that your memories will be preserved for years to come isn’t going to give your friends FOMO.

15% chance of dropping, 85% chance that you can’t because “think of the spring weekend pics!”

tech-snapchat-logo

 

Snapchat: This isn’t a question. Snapchat is a college essential.

100% chance of not dropping, 100% chance that if you don’t already have one you need to get one.

 

Continue Reading


Techaccino Tuesdays: Chrome extensions

Follow @techaccino for semi-instant updates, and check out last week’s column that you probably missed.

If you hear “Chrome extensions” and you don’t think about hair modifications, then you know what we’re talking about. With power users — people like ourselves who know how to use computers more than the average person — flocking to Google Chrome (soon to be the world’s most popular Internet browser), people have been looking for ways to tweak their online experience beyond just a new background. And thus, extensions were born (find them in the Window menu). Whether you already have 200 or you’ve just found out they existed, we reviewed the best ones for Brunonians below — pick and choose your faves, then check out the Web Store for some more.

FB Photo Zoom / Hover Zoom
Ever wish you didn’t have to click on a picture in your News Feed to see what it was? (Yes, this is the power of being a lazy college student). With FB Photo Zoom, you can rectify that and more. By passing your mouse over any picture on Facebook (be it a tiny profile thumbnail or a photo in a link), the image appears over the page next to your mouse in its original size. Hover Zoom adds the same functionality to other sites, including Twitter, Reddit and eBay. Continue Reading


Time-waster of the day: April 3, 2012

While it was no BlogDailyGerald, Google came up with some pretty ingenious “new products” to celebrate April Fools’ Day, ranging from 8-bit Google maps to Google Chrome “multi-task” mode, which introduces a second cursor to your browsing experience.  WaPo has a good round-up here.


Google’s doodle team outdoes itself

A bonus time-waster for today! In honor of the late Freddie Mercury’s 65th birthday, the Google Doodle team has put together a ridiculously awesome animation. Just go to the Google search page, and click the play button in the center.


Time-waster of the day: November 2, 2010

Google continues to amaze us by making the internet experience more interactive and exciting for everyone.  Last month they released Demo Slam, a forum for user submitted demos (of Google products) to compete to be crowned champion, based on votes from the public.  This incredibly cool website will not only waste your time, but also teach you how to use all of the technologies that Google has to offer.


50th anniversary of “The Flintstones,” Google edition

You remember The Flintstones, right? That cartoon family from the stone age. Ah, takes you back. Well, apparently, today is their 50th anniversary. So Google decided to dedicate their homepage to them. I wonder if they’ll ever do one for The Jetsons