Senior Send-off: Revisiting the archives

IMG_2051

Then + Now

Anyone who knows me knows that I love Instagram; in fact, I basically wrote my senior honors thesis on the topic. I’m incredibly nit-picky about how each photo is composed, filtered, captioned, and what it looks like with the rest of the photos in my account. The beauty of Instagram, and other social media platforms, is that we can edit our own experiences and curate a narrative for our friends and followers.

The camera roll in my iPhone tells another story – more specifically, the story of my college career, from start to finish. These images have documented the various events, friendships, ups, and downs of my life over the past four years. I can usually remember exactly how I was feeling during the moments in which each picture was captured; sometimes, I can even recall specific conversations that took place that day. My photos allow me to evoke highlights and victories, but also low-points and mistakes.

In the last episode of season four of Girls, Hannah Horvath tells an infant: “I can’t guarantee perfection, but I can guarantee intrigue.” (It’s only appropriate that I include a Girls quote, since my first-ever BlogDH post was the inaugural installment of “Lessons in the Girls Lexicon.”)

My college career hasn’t been perfect; I’m not sure that anyone’s is. I was EMS’d during orientation, I’ve had turbulent relationships – both with my friends and boys – and I made the mistake of taking ENGN1010 during second semester of Senior year.

Continue Reading


Hello Brown Instagrammers – Blog is calling!

Do you find yourself unable to resist taking pictures of the beauty around Brown’s campus to share with your Instagram followers? Or documenting what(ever) the fuck is happening on the Main Green? Or even just capturing the most “Brown” moments in your day to immortalize on social media?

Us too.

@BlogDailyHerald wants to see what you’re snapping! Tag all of your Instagram photos with these various #’s – #BlogDH #Brunonia #StudentsWhoDoCoolThings #WTFisHappeningontheMainGreen. Each week, we’ll feature the best of your pics on our own Instagram account in order to help you achieve an even higher status of Insta-stardom.

What are you waiting for? Spread your love for Brown AND be Insta-famous. #RaRaBrunonia

P.S. Follow @BlogDailyHerald on Instagram if you haven’t already!


12 Days of Spring Weekend: #EEEEEATS Lineup

BREAKING: here’s an equally important lineup for this weekend.  BCA hooked us up with a variety of food vendors to satisfy all of your culinary cravings during the concerts.  If you just have to drunkenly foodstagram, at least use the hashtag #BlogSW.  Your body is a temple—nourish, HYDRATE, and have fun!

#cakecakecakecake

#cakecakecakecake

Ben and Jerry’s free cones! 

Del’s Lemonade – A Rhode Island classic, but don’t expect this.

Domino’s Pizza – You can prove your loyalty to Antonio’s or Nice Slice later.

Taste of India – If you’re feeling adventurous.

Tina’s Jamaican Caribbean Restaurant – If you’re really feeling adventurous. 

Duck and Bunny – It’s only once a year that Wickenden comes to the Main Green.

Mexico Restaurant – For those looking to spice things up.

#SeeYouOnTheGreen

Image via. 


Alums who do cool things: Merrill Stubbs ’99, co-founder of Food52

Screen Shot 2014-03-14 at 2.15.11 PM

Whether you’re a self-proclaimed “foodie” or your Instagram feed is essentially #eeeeeats, you’ve probably heard of Food52 (they cook 52 weeks a year, get it?). The popular blog seeks to “bring cooks together from all over to exchange recipes and ideas to support each other in the kitchen.” Food52 was built on the premise that “if you want to eat better, and you want to help change our food system, you need to cook. Maybe not all the time, but some. You don’t have to eat local foods every day; you don’t have to shop at the farmers market every week. But it’s good to try. We’re not extremists in a cult of purity, slow-foodness, or locavorosity. We’re realists who believe in applying the best aspects of those food movements to our everyday lives.” Moreover, Food52 brings us mouth-watering “foodstagrams” and a great form of online procrastination not in quiz form.

What you might not know is that a co-founder of the culinary hub once dined in the Ratty and frequented late-night Jo’s. Meet Merrill Stubbs ’99 – food-lover, Brooklynite, and Brown alum. I had the opportunity to chat with Merrill about the website’s recipe for success. She even dished out advice for those sans meal-plan.

BlogDH: Why did you start Food52?

Merrill: My partner Amander Hesser and I started Food52 some years ago, and we had been working on a cookbook for the New York Times. We had been observing what had been going on in the food space online. We were observing the explosion in food blogs and there was this interesting food movement that was clearly going on offline as well. People were getting into cooking as a past time, as a way to interact with people. There certainly wasn’t a place for all these people to gather, share their knowledge, expertise, and generally have a conversation. We set out to create that place. It’s a platform to share recipes, share knowledge about cooking, general support, and create a community. It’s a hub for all things food. We started out mainly on recipes, but we’ve built it into a 360-degree food-lifestyle brand, a one-stop shop for food and cooking.

BlogDH: Did you have any previous food-related work experiences before Food52?

Merrill: I actually went to cooking school in London at Le Cordon Bleu a year after I graduated from Brown. When I moved back to the states, I worked in food for several years – in the test kitchen at America’s Test Kitchen, in a couple different restaurants in the Boston area. I started doing food writing by writing a food newsletter. It was like a very primitive form of blogging.

Continue Reading


Which social media site should you drop?

It seems like there is a new social media craze every month, and with so many options, it has gotten impossible to keep up. Unless you have a team of publicists, there is no way you can maintain an active presence on all the various social media platforms and still write that daunting midterm paper. And no, linking your Instagram to your Facebook and Twitter will never be enough.

Friends, it’s time for some spring late winter cleaning. But which site isn’t right for you? The following somewhat Mean Girls-themed forecast — complete with percentages! — will help:

twitter_logo1-Copy

Twitter: Unless you are a Real Housewife, Lady Gaga circa 2010, or 257 Thayer,  you don’t need to be on Twitter.

80% chance of dropping, 20% chance your favorite comedian just has suuuuuch clever thoughts throughout the day that you can’t bare the idea of not reading them while you’re on the toilet.

 

 

Instagram-logo

Instagram: “I’m sorry that people are so jealous of me, but I can’t help it that I’m popular.” – Instagram

Insta may be the easiest social media app to make fun of, but it doesn’t matter. It’s fun, it’s a low time commitment, it’s colorful, and it makes you feel artistic. It’s one of the few social media outlets that allow you to express your creativity. Yes, in reality, Insta provides less in the way of art and more in the way of “someone you went to high school with is about to eat a fancy sandwich at a popular lunch spot in San Francisco.” But it’s the thought that counts, and with Facebook already on the decline, what else are you supposed to do with all your photos? Printing them out and framing them so that your memories will be preserved for years to come isn’t going to give your friends FOMO.

15% chance of dropping, 85% chance that you can’t because “think of the spring weekend pics!”

tech-snapchat-logo

 

Snapchat: This isn’t a question. Snapchat is a college essential.

100% chance of not dropping, 100% chance that if you don’t already have one you need to get one.

 

Continue Reading


FlogDailyHerald: Instagram Holidays

#selfie

Who doesn’t love Instagram? With filters that turn any selfie into a filtered selfie, it’s the bona fide hipster app of the decade, which means Brown students must love it. And I do love Instagram as much as anyone. Trust me, I do. But much like the way one avoids Facebook during the Super Bowl (who wants to read 100 statuses in a row all recounting information about an event literally the entire world is watching?), there are times when every photo on your Instagram feed looks eerily similar.

What exactly is an Instagram holiday, you ask?

Instagram Holiday (n): An occasion that incites a multitude of Instagrams with similar (or the same) content. Includes real holidays as well as social events, popular sports games and natural and frequent weather patterns. 

Used in a sentence: “I think snowfall is my favorite Instagram Holiday.” 

Used in another sentence: “Excuse me professor, but tomorrow is #throwbackthursday, a very religious Instagram Holiday, so I actually will not be attending class.”

Continue Reading