PSA: SW ’15 tickets go on sale tomorrow at 8 a.m.

prof

The time is nigh. Tomorrow marks the beginning of Spring Week. What better way to start it off than a mad dash to the virtual box office?

Tomorrow morning at 8 a.m., 3,200 tickets will go on sale for the Brown community at this link. Tickets for each day will cost $18. Community members can only buy one ticket per concert at this point. This first round of tickets comprises the indoor capacity for the concert, which hopefully is not all that this weekend’s events will be limited to. As of now, things are looking grim… but hey, wear your PJs inside out and I’m sure all will be well. That’s how it works, right?

If the weather call for the concert is in our favor, BCA will release another 2,300 tickets at 2 p.m. this Wednesday, April 15. This round of tickets will be for community members that weren’t able to score tickets in the first round, meaning people can only buy one ticket per event this time as well. BCA will open ticket sales back up to everyone on Thursday, April 16, at 8 a.m. so that community members can buy tickets for visiting friends and the like.

Looks like we’re in for an intense week, Brunonians. Make sure to wake up bright and early tomorrow to score tickets to this weekend’s concerts.

Image via


Bad weather alert: Outdoor Spring Weekend concerts in jeopardy

Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 3.26.47 PM

The forecast for Spring Weekend needs to change. The ten day forecast now displays there is a 40% chance of rain on Friday, and a 60% chance of rain on Saturday. In other words, it’s not looking good.

So what does that mean for us? The first possibility is that everything goes according to plan; it doesn’t actually rain, and we all get to enjoy the concert outside. There is also a chance that if it rains a small enough amount, we can still have the concert outside and enjoy Waka in the mud. It would take going hard in the paint to a whole new level.

Continue Reading


12 Days of Spring Weekend: Explaining this year’s ticket price increase

Screen Shot 2014-04-05 at 11.23.13 AM

Notice something strange embedded in BCA’s announcements regarding Monday’s Spring Weekend ticket sale? Besides the usual rules about how many tickets are on sale, and when, it seems that ticket prices have increased $5 from last year’s $15.

What could have caused this increase? Did BCA have to blow the budget due to Dan Deacon’s completely irrational demands for what amenities needed to be available for him?* Is Paxson taking a 5% commission on the whole thing? We reached out to a member of BCA for comment, and got a fairly simple explanation for the price increase:

The ticket prices have increased this year because the money we get from UFB only funds the talent we bring, and we need to make up the rest with ticket sales. A higher talent budget means higher production, staging, and hospitality costs. Since it’s a non-profit event, we use our ticket sales to cover all production costs.

Continue Reading


Ch-ch-changes: Brown Lecture Board

Amidst the excitement surrounding the spring lineup for Brown Lecture Board, you may have noticed that the organization is going through a lot (ch-ch-ch)changes this year. BlogDH sought out BLB President Kaivan Shroff ’15 to explain the recent alterations to the process. Here are the basics:

1. They’re increasing their use of social media as a way to further engage with the student population. Shroff described the shift as “a way for students to get more information, and for us to get input and feedback.” They have launched a Facebook page and an Instagram in the efforts to make the details of Lecture Board events more accessible. In the vein of getting input and feedback, Lecture Board has been hard at work on the internet to gauge campus’ reactions to their ticketing processes and events. This includes distributing a variety of surveys, as well as a Google moderator for the upcoming panel that has students submit questions and other students vote on those questions. Last semester, BlogDH hosted a vote for Fall Lecture Board speaker, which got over 1600 responses. Shroff explained, “There’s a trade-off between time and democracy. In the future, we are trying to get these polls up as soon as possible, so we can best represent what the students of Brown want.”

2. The ticketing system has moved online in a new lottery process. Shroff said that in the past “we would have the line circle around JWW, or a spiral in the Kasper Multipurpose room, but the spaces available at Brown for hundreds of people to line up are very limited.” The major goal of the lottery is to equalize the online ticketing process.” Bill Nye tickets literally sold out in 20 seconds… luckily, we could respond quickly to this and changed the distribution to a lottery system, accommodating people who could have slower Internet connectivity or a malfunctioning computer.” An important thing to note is that there will be a standby line for every Lecture Board event, although the number of people let in will vary depending on how close the venue is to capacity.

Continue Reading


Survey says: BCA released far fewer tickets on Tuesday than originally advertised

SL_SWTickets_brownbsa

In the aftermath of Monday morning’s ticketing fiasco, the Brown Concert Agency scrambled to deploy a new ticketing release schedule. In an announcement the BCA put up on its blog Monday afternoon, the new schedule was that 1250 tickets would be released later on Monday and then another 1250 — again to each concert — would be released yesterday, Tuesday. We quote directly from that announcement:

1250 tickets per concert will go on sale tonight (4/15) @ 8pm.

1250 tickets per concert will go on sale tomorrow morning (4/16) @ 7am.

Based on a Google poll deployed yesterday afternoon by BlogDailyHerald, there is excellent reason to believe that the latter statement turned out not to be true, and that anywhere between zero and around 485 tickets to the Saturday concert were actually released at 7 a.m. on Tuesday, a far cry from the 1250 advertised. Read our full analysis after the jump. Continue Reading


Another year, another Spring Weekend ticket sale malfunction

-jtjMzeHDqzrxVcLCRdXPqJjTvuTI5Lug_QPWQRd-lU

Despite efforts to ensure that last year’s Spring Weekend ticket clusterfuck would never happen again, history seemed to repeat itself this morning. Spring Weekend ticket sale malfunctions? It must be spring! But you shouldn’t blame BCA. It was clearly a problem with the TouchNet payment processor that has exclusive contact with Brown. According to BCA’s most recent update, the only way you’ll know that you have successfully purchased tickets is if you have already received an e-mail confirmation. If you are one of the many frustrated confused exhausted people whose credit cards were charged but did neither received tickets nor e-mail confirmations, all processing/pending charges will be removed from your statement within 48 hours, according to BCA.

Don’t lose all hope…at least not yet. BCA also announced that both tonight (4/15) at 8 p.m and tomorrow (4/16) at 7 a.m. an additional 1250 tickets per concert will be released.

Here are some funny statuses to keep your mind off the stressful Lord of the Flies dynamic into which we seem to have devolved. Hey, at least we’re not alone…

Continue Reading