Growing up in the Philadelphia suburbs, I pride myself on having averaged a good six to eight haunted house visits each Halloween season. Whether it was clowns, skeletons, or the ridiculous cost of admission, I traveled to abandoned asylums, run-down prisons, and revamped cornfields all with the intention of
crying like a baby being terrified. Well, October is here, and if you’ve got the haunted house bug, here’s the lineup of Rhode Island haunted houses to remind that there are things scarier than CS:
Seekonk Speedway 1710 Fall River Ave., Seekonk, MA 02771
- The Gist: Fear Town is an outdoor haunted path located in the woods by Seekonk Speedway that takes you through abandoned buildings and across uneven forest terrain.
- Distance from Campus: 7.3 miles
- Cost: $16
- Estimated Uber Fare: $9-12
- Horror Tropes Used: The woods, abandoned buildings.
- Bonus: Fear Town boasts the highest Yelp rating (4.8 stars) in RI and the lowest cost/Uber fare, meaning this one is mostly likely to be your budget’s favorite attraction.
Factory of Terror
3 Bridal Ave., West Warwick, RI 02893
- The Gist: Factory of Terror is an indoor haunted house with five separate attractions: Ghost Cemetery, Psycho Alley, Asylum of Screaming Souls, Dracula’s Hideaway, and 4D Blackout.
- Distance from Campus: 13.8 miles
- Cost: $23
- Estimated Uber Fare: $15-20
- Horror Tropes Used: Asylums, graveyards, total darkness.
- Bonus: Factory of Terror also has two other locations in Fall River, MA and Worcester, MA which are great…if you want to go to Massachusetts for another haunted house.
Field of Screams
179 Plain Meeting House Rd., West Greenwich, RI 02817
- The Gist: Field of Screams, now in its 20th year of scaring visitors, features three separate haunted attractions: The Haunted Insane Asylum, Dead River Haunted Hayride, and a 4D haunted maze–Cirque du Souls.
- Distance from Campus: 28.4 miles
- Cost: $25, additional front-of-the-line fees and paintball tickets are available
- Estimated Uber Fare: $28-38 (Split this one.)
- Horror Tropes Used: Clowns, dungeons, a hayride (!!!).
- Bonus: Field of Screams also has Zombie Paintball, in which you shoot zombies from a moving platform truck as they attempt to overrun your group. Not for the faint of heart, or those with bad aim.
The Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular
1000 Elmwood Ave., Providence, RI 02907
- The Gist: Okay, so, this isn’t a haunted house, but if you need some relaxing fun
after wetting your pantsthe Roger Williams Park Zoo’s annual Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular features 5,000 pumpkins decorating its landscape during the month of October.
- Distance from Campus: 5.6 miles
- Cost: $14 Mon-Thurs, $16 Fri-Sun
- Estimated Uber Fare: $7-9
HorrorHalloween Tropes Used: Jack-O-Lanterns.
- Bonus: The 2015 Spectacular theme is “The People’s Choice,” and features scenes and carvings that visitors especially loved in previous years. In other words, this year is the best of the best.
If you’re interested in getting scared without leaving campus (and breaking the bank), you can check out the annual on-campus haunted house hosted by the Japanese Cultural Association. This year, it will be held on October 31st, Halloween night in the basement of Sayles.
Till then, stay spooky!
Image via Jokichi Matsubara ’18 and via.