The Chipotle Mexican Grill on Thayer Street closed temporarily Wednesday due to leaking water contaminating the facilities. Dean Martineau, a property manager from Capstone Properties and manager of the third floor of the building, said the exterior water lines froze due to the cold over the previous weekend. As the weather rapidly warmed, the pipes ruptured and began leaking for a small length of time, he added.
The leak started on the third floor and descended through the building. A team from Rapid Response Restoration — a firm specializing in “disaster restoration and reconstruction of insured property damaged by fire, flood, smoke, wind or mold” according to its website — arrived at the scene mid-morning Wednesday to assess the damage and begin repairs.
Martineau said the team will work “around the clock” to get the facilities back in order. Along with repairing the pipes, the team also has to clean and dry the water from the ceilings and carpets, Martineau said. He added that the cost of the renovations will likely be in the thousands, though he does not know for sure.
Chris Calderon, the owner of Kind Connection of the second floor of the building, was informed by his landlord Wednesday morning of a water leak, he said. His unit incurred major flooding damage caused by a hot water heater on the third floor that gave way, he added.
Due to the damage and impending restoration, “my business is closed at the moment for the unforeseeable future,” Calderon said, though he hopes it will be no more than one to two weeks, depending on how the restoration does.
Luckily, insurance will cover the cost of the damage, Calderon added. The repair process will involve cleaning out the unit, checking the interior for mildew and mold and ensuring the air quality is safe, he said.
“My energies are just focused on trying to get cleaned up, fixed, repaired, renovated,” Calderon said. “I’ve been open for business 21 years — so this is a bit of a bump in the road.”
He added that Kind Connection will reopen, it is just a matter of when.
Personnel from Chipotle Corporate Headquarters could not be reached for comment.